Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Crisis averted by vanity

So I'm preparing for my trip back to the U.S. tonight when I realize I can't find my passport. I always keep it one of three places here: in my top desk drawer, in a certain concealed pocket of my backpack, or in my pocket. Always one of those three places, and it wasn't in any of them.

So I start thinking. When was the last time I used my passport? Easy! Macau.

And what was I wearing? Equally easy! Pink shirt, matching tie, gray slacks.

So I pull out the gray slacks - which have already been packed into my suitcase - and sure enough, in the still-buttoned back pocket, there's my passport.

Crisis averted just by being so vain that I remember exactly what I wore on a given day, because I had picked the outfit specifically for the occasion.

No comments: