Saturday, November 17, 2007

Best day in Hong Kong in...ever?

I'm sitting in the Brunch Club, which is already my favorite little spot in Hong Kong. It's a Western-style café/coffee shop in Soho with an extensive wine collection, free magazines on the walls, and free-and-fast wireless internet. The staff speaks excellent - in some cases, surprisingly unaccented - English, and everyone who comes seems to be a regular.

I'm reading this month's issue of Harper's, which may be an even more self-consciously, self-righteously hyperintellectual publication than my beloved New Yorker. I finish a reprinting of a Hunter S. Thompson piece that appeared in Rolling Stone in 1973 when I peer over the top of my magazine and see a fratty-looking American guy at the table across the way. Apparently he is from South Carolina and is a student/fan of the university therein, because he is wearing a red t-shirt that reads across the chest, in big, bold letters, "COCKS."

As I turn away to chuckle, I find a gorgeous golden retriever behind me. I pet him and talk to the man sitting next to me, a charming English fellow who introduces me to Bonnie, his (male) retriever. This highly cultured dog apparently has a taste for The Economist, licking its the pages of his owner's magazine (I offer the new issue in my backpack for seconds). We discuss briefly how there are two kinds of people in the world, those who like dogs and those who don't, and how there is no room in our lives for the latter, as they have something seriously wrong with their priorities.

At that point, I realize that I am overwhelmingly happy, and that this is already the best day I've had in Hong Kong in probably two months. To memorialize it, my iPod soundtrack for the day. What do you mean, it looks like a mix album from The OC?

Patrick Park - "Life's a Song"
Peter Bjorn & John - "Young Folks"
South - "Paint the Silence"
Eberg - "Inside Your Head"
Death Cab for Cutie - "Blacking Out the Friction"
Electric President - "Metal Fingers"
Feist - "I Feel It All"
Delirium feat. Sarah McLachlan - "Silence"
Incubus - "Dig"
Postal Service - "Sleeping In"

As my friend Daniel just noted, Brunch Club is good food, good prices, nice environment, and slightly slow (let's call it "relaxed") service. And they keep my water glass full for hours, without being asked. In other words, it is Los Angeles. No wonder I love it so.

To close, I have resolved (in consultation with Ben, proprietor of the tragically defunct Hot Girls and Explosions) that I will now blame global warming for everything. "Pacific Ocean is getting super cold, making it hard to surf." Global warming is melting polar ice into the oceans! "Man my breath is terrible." Fucking global warming! "These boxers are riding all up on my junk." DAMN YOU, CARBON EMISSIONS!

No comments: