Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Funny signs are my bread and butter

One of the truly great joys of traveling through Asia has been coming across amusing sign after amusing sign. It's very important to have signs in English around here. It's apparently not so important to ensure that those signs are competently translated (even with the Chinese government).


From the Star Ferry in Hong Kong. As has been noted by Marie, this must be the longest warning sign ever.


An advertisement for a Hong Kong advertising agency on a street in Soho. The ad isn't especially extraordinary, but Brian and I took advantage of his visit to make it our own, Eiffel Tower style. It helps that we were dressed so similarly that night.


From a roast duck restaurant in Beijing. A different sign explained more clearly that the rickshaw drivers in front of the restaurant were not affiliated with the restaurant, and that patrons should therefore negotiate their fares before setting off.


The Forbidden City in Beijing. Apparently, 4 words in Chinese translates to two sizable sentences in English. Similarly, 2 words in Chinese translate to one full sentence in English. Truly a language rich with meaning.


Temple of Heaven in Beijing. The Chinese name their rituals quite literally.


Temple of Heaven in Beijing again. The Chinese also apparently name their buildings quite literally.


The Great Wall of China. I always felt safe climbing the unrestored portions of the wall, thanks to highly informative warning signs like this.


A tourist-flooded restaurant in Xian that served the worst food I ate in China. At least they made the noodle bar into a show. Excuse me, I mean, a "perform."


Terra-cotta warriors museum in Xian. They made a convincing case on paying them an exorbitant amount of money for the photo-op, but I nevertheless declined.


Face, a bar in Shanghai. They don't cater to no white-faces!


The back seat of a cab in Shanghai. Seriously, this is the hottest Hooters girl in China? What a disaster.


The People's Square metro station in Shanghai. I had no idea what this necktie was going to do for me, but I suddenly wanted one. Unfortunately, the stand was closed.


A prominent street food area in Shanghai. I find it much easier to forgive bad grammar when a place serves the best dumplings I've ever had. They get a free pass.

No comments: