Sunday, September 23, 2007

RIP Siemens A50

I develop emotional attachments to material possessions that are so much a part of my lifestyle, they follow me everywhere. See, e.g., my Rainbow sandals, which are the only item of clothing I've never not taken on a trip, anywhere.

Today, I retired the phone that has followed me around the world. When I studied abroad in London, I didn't know that I'd have to change the band settings on my cell phone to get a local signal, so I just bought a cheap new one locally. That phone was the mighty Siemens A50:


Basically obsolete even when it was purchased in early 2004 and sporting embarrassingly long load times, sticky buttons, an unintuitive menu system, and a sexy blue exterior, the noble A50 served with distinction in England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Repubic, Germany, Austria, Italy, and France, and more recently in Hong Kong and Malaysia. Recently, something has gone wonky with my longtime companion, and my conversations have ranged from slightly staticy to completely incomprehensible. Today, I unlocked my American T-Mobile phone to accept my local pay-as-you-go SIM card, and will be promoting it to the starting lineup.

Farewell, Siemens A50. I'll always remember holding you to my ear while being questioned by Welsh police as a potential suspect in a robbery in Cardiff, while my English friend who warned me not to go to Wales listened to the incident unfold and laughed uncontrollably.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww i remember using that phone... sadnessity.