Saturday, September 08, 2007

The one photograph that perfectly captures Lan Kwai Fong

Lan Kwai Fong is a district in Central Hong Kong that basically exists to serve massive crowds of roving tourists and expatriates dramatically overpriced alcohol and to encourage them to hook up with each other, or possibly with one of the many prostitutes roving the streets. Given the paucity of locals who inhabit LKF, it's actually a really fun game to play, figuring out which ones are whores in the I-have-sex-for-money sense, versus which ones are just whores in the I-have-sex-for-free-drinks-purchased-for-me-by-sugar-daddy-foreigners sense.

Anyhow, people (myself included) tend to take lots of overhead digital pictures to try to show the conspicuously publicly-intoxicated crowds of people on the street (doesn't the guy on the left look like Locke from Lost?), or in at least once case I saw, the Australian dude wearing a giant mustard bottle costume. But I think that I've found the picture that says it all, just by stopping for a moment in front of a 24-hour pharmacy in them middle of the district. I encourage you to pay particular attention to the "for..." statements that go with each product.

2 comments:

APD said...

Dude, how did I miss this sign??!! It has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen! And you are right, it does sum up Lan Kwai Fong, and so much more of Asia, perfectly. Just wait until you visit Thailand.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!