Tuesday, September 18, 2007

If you didn't believe me about the halls

Maybe you didn't believe me when I told you there was a hall song and a hall war cry for every hall. Not only was I telling the truth, but there are also hall marches and dances. And not only are there hall marches and dances, but they are publicly performed in competition with other halls.

This video is a perfect representation of the Hitler youth fascist mentality that seems to be expected of hall residents. They are apparently completely oblivious to the obvious Nazi parallels, but rest assured, I am not. The shaking of the camera in this video is me, laughing at the absurdity of what I see. And if you listen closely when the first arms go up, you can hear Britt in the background exclaim, "Whoa!" By the end of the video, as you'll hear me announce, my blogging duty on this was clear. I should also mention that a local student who stood with us and observed the spectacle insisted that we were watching two of the tamer and less spirited halls in action, and that several of the other halls had far more complex choreography and better timing.



To further illustrate the hopeless cluelessness of this students, this semi-fascist demonstration is being staged on a road that is hand-painted with Chinese characters that memorialize the 1989 Tienanmen Square incident. Bravo.

It has been suggested to me that I redub this video with audio of a Hitler speech, German march music, and the like. It has also been suggested to me that, were I to do this and post it on the Internet, and were the university to discover that video on the Internet, they would likely fail to find the humor in my social commentary and expel me. Much as I'd love to be the test case for First Amendment values in post-return-to-China Hong Kong, I'm a lover, not a martyr.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Is it just me, or are they singing to the tune of:

What do you do with a drunken sailor?
What do you do with a drunken sailor?
What do you do with a drunken sailor
Early in the morning?

Ken Basin said...

Yeah, they are. The other hall was doing an even more recognizable tune that I can't presently remember. I was getting ready for both sides to resolve their differences by starting a joint rendition of "My Baby Takes the Morning Train."