Monday, September 10, 2007

Delirium

Last night, we went wandering through the Hong Kong Space Museum in Kowloon. You might be surprised to learn that Hong Kong has a space museum. Perhaps you are skeptical of Hong Kong's contributions to space exploration and astronomy. "Ha!" you scoff. "What do they have to say about space that other people don't?" And let me tell you, my friend, the answer is, not very much. I believe, but am not certain, that I got the full 75 cents worth of utility out of my entry ticket.

I was out of sorts all day, perhaps the inevitable result of a week spent climbing every rocky outcrop I could find on every stretch of coast in Hong Kong (more on some of those adventures in another post). A delicious pork dumping snack before the museum staved off the onset of complete delirium, but by the end of our jaunt through the Space Museum, I was again perched precariously close the abyss. We exited the museum to await the arrival of a companion for dinner, first on the side facing the street, but then switching to the rear exit, which opened into a lovely courtyard with a view of the Hong Kong Island skyline. As I stumbled numbly through the door, trailed by who I thought was a friend, I began extolling the virtues of this particular exit.

"This side's pretty," I observed. "Pretty pretty pretty. Wow, I must be out of it if I'm saying 'pretty pretty pretty.'"

I turned to seek precious validation from the person behind me, only to discover that I had never seen that man before in my life.

"And now talking to a stranger." A beat. "And now talking to myself."

No comments: