Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Various thoughts with no unifying theme

- While crossing the street back to work after my coffee break today, I passed one of the 70-something name partners of 2L Summer Employer 1, driving a silver convertible Porsche Boxster, wearing brown leather driving gloves. FANTASTIC. The only way it could have been better is if he had a scarf flowing in the wind, or perhaps some driving goggles to protect him from dust.

John's response as to whether such a life might be for him: "Yes, but someone will have to show me which one is the acceleratrix and decelerator, though."

- This decision here thrills me. But the part of the article that strikes me the most? The reaction of FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin: "He said that if the agency was unable to prohibit some vulgarities during prime time, 'Hollywood will be able to say anything they want, whenever they want.'"

Oh. My. God. You mean people are going to be able to speak? Freely? Whenever they want? Get out.

I also like Naeun's observation that the ruling of the court is essentially, "If it's good enough for the president, it's good enough for the rest of us." Month-long vacations for everyone!

- Every once in a while, I am spontaneously reminded just how ingenious The Onion truly is. I love it so, and with good reason. If money was no object, becoming an Onion staff writer would be one of my top two priorities in life (writing for the New Yorker would be the other).

- Has anybody else noticed that the opening drum kick to Peter Bjorn and John's "Young Folks" sounds remarkably like the first few seconds of the Doobie Brothers' "Jesus is Just Alright?" Anyone? I would really appreciate a little confirmation on this one.

- There's a commercial on the TV right now for Ditech, whose motto is now apparently, "People are smart." That statement is demonstrably false and I will now never utilize Ditech's services.

- "'Girls Gone Wild' creator Joseph Francis, granted bail in a federal tax evasion case in Nevada, will remain in jail to avoid the possibility of being sent to Florida to be arrested on another charge, his lawyer said Tuesday." Too hilarious.

As John noted, this has to be the smartest man alive. He sat down one day and said, "You know what I really like? Naked breasts of drunk college girls. I'm gonna find a way to make money from naked breasts of drunk college girls." 10 years, $29 million a year, and 2 federal indictments later, here is. I salute you, Joseph Francis: a true American hero.

No comments: