Thursday, May 17, 2007

The return of dreaded BTQ abuse

It came up TWICE today. First, in the oral arguments of one of the cases I was watching at the Court of Appeals, and second, in the papers for the oral argument that OUR firm was doing:

"Miller's claim that she expected the court to contact her begged the obvious question of 'where?'"

I'm so ashamed!

Seriously, my obsession with this form of grammatical abuse grows with every passing day. If it comes up again, I'm probably going to change the name of this blog to "Begging the Question." I just wish people would use it properly more often. I miss you, Bruce Hay.

Le sigh.

1 comment:

AEstes said...

You know, considering how anal lawyers are, you think we should be able to object for improper grammar.

"Objection! Split infinitive!"

"Objection! Dangling modifier!"

When I become an Article III judge, just you wait. . .