Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Back to life

To date, my first, last, and only post on this Blog was on July 23, 2004. It is 4 lines long, and yet comparing my life today to that post reveals so very much about where I've come from and where I've gone. In that post, I basically list the things I need to do to complete my transformation to complete social whoredom. Join MySpace? Check. Sell my soul to the Satan? Went to law school, so double-check! Jump off a cliff? I'm going to say that bungee jumping counts. So here I am, nearly 3 years later, 3-for-3. I think I like the 2004 version of me better.

I guess I haven't been completely alien to the Blogosphere, or whatever horrible word has been invented and undoubtedly completely overused to characterize this little corner of the Internet. I had my LiveJournal, which got updated from time to time. And I briefly contemplated using my MySpace Blog as my primary Blog (I feel like that makes MySpace count for two strikes against my respectability).

So what am I doing back here, you ask? Basically, filling the void left by the Parody, the law school musical. Somehow, people who have known me for 2 years or less find it perfectly logical that I decided to participate in a musical. But anyone who has known me longer tends to sound pretty surprised (and justifiably so, given my lack of experience). That's me with Parody people on the left there. They're good folks.

Anyhow, the Parody (which was fabulous) took 7 weeks of rehearsal, including a 2.5-week block of run-throughs, dress rehearsals, and performances that took up roughly 5 hours a day, every day (okay, we got a Friday off). Now, I have all that time back, and I have no clue what do with it. I've certainly completely forgotten how to do real work. Today, I spent about 2 hours cleaning up my computer's hard drive. Yesterday, I spent at least that much time rediscovering this Blog and playing with new formatting options, and that was without ever actually getting to write a word.

Anyhow, Parody's done, and there's a huge void left in my day, and in my psyche, where it used to reside. So I guess I like the Blog concept as a void-filler for a few reasons. First, it's delightfully narcissistic. Second, I often feel like I should be documenting my thoughts more, so that I can go back and read them later and feel hideously embarrassed with myself (thank god I could lock some of those old LiveJournal posts). Third, it allows me a forum to satisfy my innate need to make numbered lists. And fourth -- and most relevant here -- it gives me a minor taste of the performance element that was so fun about Parody and is so lacking now. I just spent a week where every night, I would say something, and large masses of strangers would laugh and appreciate it. Writing something down and putting it on the Internet allows me to indulge the fantasy that somewhere, someone will read something I write and chuckle. And that is far more fulfilling to me than reading about the right of publicity for the fourth time in 2 semesters.

The whole performance thing can be pretty intoxicating (incidentally, so can the minimum of 10 drinks a night I consumed for about 7 consecutive days during performance week...who's up for liver transplants?). So give yourselves a round of applause, Parody folks: you have created a narcissistic monster. Nay! You have taken a narcissistic monster, given him a potent cocktail of angel dust and crack, and set him loose on an unsuspecting Internet. I hope you're happy.

2 comments:

Mila :) said...

I just want you to know that I read what you wrote, appreicated it and definitely chuckled. I think I even smiled and guffawed a bit. Keep the performance blog coming.

Jenna L. V. said...

I can totally see you on a stage in front of people. Still surprised me, but I can see it.